Format of Presentation
- Intro of Presenters
- Best practices for credential evaluation records
- What documentation and resources are available from the China perspective
- How to detect fraud and treatment of dishonesty cases
- How to spot trends affecting the credential evaluation process from the China perspective.
A MIT Contract Story
- Cheat Sheet – Series by Reuters and in reality
- Significance of commercial driven academic credential issues in Asia
- Cost of dismissal to schools and to students and recovery process
- Dismissal issues and Whitepaper – diagrams
- Tip of the iceberg
- How about school assisted transcript modification?
Research and Publication
Best practices for credential evaluation records
- Use of online services (CDGDC)
- Conferences like AIRC
- Use of a credential evaluation service
- Maintain personal library of samples
What documentation and resources are
- available from the China perspective
- Transcript from high school, university
- Standardized test score
- Reference letter
- CET test score
How to detect fraud and treatment of dishonesty cases
Obtain entire educational history of student (the basic information)
Online verification services (CDGDC, WholeRen)
Take a look at your resources: are they comprehensive and up-to-date?
Have you established your own network of colleagues around the world?
What are red flags? (seals, stamps, grades too high?) Look for aspects of the documents that seem out of place
Paper size/weight is correct for the country.
Institutional seals/stamps are clear, crisp, and legible.
Institutional logos and data on grade report are clean and correct for the time period.
Signatures of institutional authorities do not look copied and pasted.
Credentials do not display misspelling, white-outs, or erasures.
Fonts, format, and layout of documents are correct for that institution’s credentials.
Is the educational terminology correct for the country that issued the documentation?
Are there are dates or signatures on the documents? Do they match the educational history, date of birth?
Are the credits/hours of study are too high/too low?
Check security features, such as embossed seals, foil printing, raised text, or holograms that should be
the official document of that country?
How to Spot Trends Affecting the Credential Evaluation Process
-Concerns about fraud are prevalent in international student admissions work
-There are avenues/services to support institutions in verifying documentation
-Advantages to working with outside agencies for credentialing/verification of recruited students
-What to look for in reputable agencies to partner with